woensdag 28 maart 2012

Dip dye/Ombre jacket

The description of my blog says "steffi's interests" so I thought it was time to share something else than recipes.
I have fallen absolutely in love with ombre and dip dye. For now my hair's a bit too short for that, so I'll have to stick with clothing for now.

Click to see what I did to this magical white jacket














 For this dip dye I have chosen Dylon fabric dye
Intense violet and ocean blue. At first I was a bit skeptical about the intensity of the colors, ocean blue sounds really pretty but you shouldn't believe everything the package says.
All you need is some warm water, dye, salt, a plastic bag and some rubber bands to get started.




I used a big plastic bucket to dye this jacket. Dip dye can get a bit messy and plastic buckets will be very easy to clean afterwards. First I added the ocean blue and salt to the water and dipped the jacket in there.
As the package said it's important to wear rubber gloves of some sort.






use a plastic bag and elastic bands to seal the part you don't want to get dyed any further. You can hold that part to dip the rest of your jacket/dress/shirt in the dye.
after I sealed the bottom part of my jacket I added the violet to the water, and dipped the jacket in there again. You can use multiple rubber bands, it all depends on how much color gradation you want. 



As you can see the jacket is getting a pretty violet color. Once you item is done, rinse it first before you wash it. It'll have a lot dye still attached to the fabric, and the more you get off of it the easier it'll be to wash it later. After you've rinsed most of the dye out you can wash it and hang it out to dry. Preferably in the shade or indoors, as you're not supposed to get a lot of sunlight on it yet.




The final result, still a bit wet. The product only works on natural fabrics and won't color the seams and stuff, that have synthetic substances. I also used this bucket op dye to dye a washing cloth, a dress and a long sleeve t-shirt. One package is supposed to be enough to dye 600gr of clothing with an intense finish.






Why not give it a try and create your own unique piece of clothing?

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten